The world of Unified Communications continues to evolve, now extending from a primarily human-to-human and man-machine interactions to one that encompasses machines, sensors, actuators and many other “things”.
This phenomenon is usually described by acronyms such as M2M (Machine-To-Machine), IoT (Internet of Things) or IoE (Internet of Everything).
Inclusion of these modalities into the realm of unified communications is expected to drive another paradigm shift. With the aid of capabilities such as identity, proximity, location, availability, mood, health and social, augmented by further data produced by billions of devices, the overall Visual and Unified Communications ecosystem will continue to evolve and transform how people interact and use communication tools.
IMTC today is the world’s leading consortium on multimedia communications, focused on advancing Unified Communications technologies and standards, whether it be SIP, LTE, IMS, WebRTC, or SDN.
With this mission in mind, IMTC finds it important to explore overlapping areas of UC and IoT, which is what this UC/IoT Activity Group has been formed for to accomplish.
The IMTC UC/IoT activity group provides a forum for IMTC members to cooperate and pool resources to work on IOT, M2M as applicable to UC contexts. The group will start by assessing UC/IoT use cases and scenarios, and then aims to advance toward building test plans and conducting interoperability testing once member solutions are ready.
The group’s overall goal is not to develop its own standards but to complement the standardization efforts already under way in the vast IoT and M2M industry; the group’s focus is to help developers of UC applications to take advantage of M2M and IoT offerings in order to improve their products and solutions.
- Become a forum for IoT and M2M information exchange for IMTC members, as it pertains to the tasks the group is working on
- Build a library of use cases to assess the impact and beneficial use of IoT and M2M capabilities for the purposes of enhancing the ubiquitous UC solutions.
- Work on testing plans and conduct interoperability testing for the relevant technologies if and when deemed necessary by the Activity Group members.
- Establish regular communication with external SDO and Industry organizations to ensure that all UC-specific requirements will be appropriately addressed in IoT and M2M standards and specifications
- Establish regular communication with related Activity Groups within IMTC (such as SIP Parity, UC SDN, WebRTC) to make sure the use cases and requirements will properly represent all of IMTC member requirements
- Assess the needs of IMTC members in the areas of M2M and IoT technologies
- Build the library of use cases for UC/IoT applications
- Identify technology gaps that IMTC could potentially address.
- Identify key requirements for UC/IoT implementations.
- Drive requirements in to and receive requirements from relevant liaison groups.
- Publish documentation of use cases.
The IMTC collaborates and expects to have liaison relationships with several standards development organizations and industry Fora. IoT/M2M standardization and industry work is extremely broad, involving large number of organizations. The list of potential Liaisons, to be refined and updated as the group will progress in its work, includes the following: Bluetooth SIG, oneM2M, OIC, IIC, UPNP Forum, AllSeen, OMA, GSMA – connected living, OSGi Alliance, OASIS, ONF (Security and UC SDN/QoS), NFC Forum, Thread, LoRa, W3C, ECMA and WiFi Alliance.
- Private e-mail reflector to exchange information and discuss issues.
- Conference and collaboration sessions (bi-weekly or as needed)
- Face-to-face meetings as required.
- The IMTC File-Sharing tools.
- Participation is generally limited to IMTC members.
How to Join
To subscribe to the Activity Group’s email list, scroll to the top of the page and click on the “Member Login” button to access the member portal, then select “Join a Work Group”, select the Activity Group and click on the “subscribe” link. You will receive a subscription confirmation in your email. If you have forgotten your password, click on the “Forgot/Need Password” on the sign in screen and it will be emailed to you. If you have not set up a user name and password or have any questions, contact the IMTC help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director – Strategy & Corporate Development at Unify
Phone: +44 1908 817811